Fibromyalgia is an arthritic muscle disease that researchers say affects up to ten million Americans (mostly mid-life women). Our parents and grandparents called it rheumatism. The whole body feels pain with tender spots that hurt significantly when pressed. A stress-related immune disorder, the central cause seems to be related to a low level of serotonin in the brain and reduced growth hormone. Fibromyalgia symptoms are wide and diffuse, sharing many nerve and anxiety signs with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS), TMJ, and rheumatoid arthritis.
Aluminum toxicity and cortisol deficiency may be linked; magnesium deficiency, a virus, hypoglycemia, and immune system breakdown may be involved. Most sufferers complain of dizziness, weakness, fatigue and confusion, disrupted sleep, migraine headaches, chronic diarrhea and irritable bowel. Most have digestive problems and shortness of breath. Other symptoms include cardiovascular problems like mitral valve prolapse and allergies.
1. Go on a short 3 day juice cleansing diet; then keep your diet at least 50% fresh foods during intensive healing. A largely vegetarian diet has a beneficial influence. Add cruciferous veggies like broccoli for 3-indole carbinole to reduce pain.
2. Avoid fatty foods, sugary foods, nightshade plants, red meats and caffeine.
3. Lowering your homocysteine levels may help: Take 4 garlic capsules (1200mg a day) to maintain aortic elasticity. Take B6, 50mg and folic acid 800mg to help break down homocysteine. Have red wine, 1 glass with dinner.
Bodywork: More muscle strength is critical to healing. Build up your fitness with a low-impact aerobic exercise program, 20 minutes a day for body oxygen and muscle tone. Add light weight bearing exercise for 10 minutes a day to start. Water aerobics can be especially beneficial.
Relaxation techniques are crucial:
• Regular monthly massage therapy and acupuncture treatments have good success.
• Choose from meditation, guided imagery, yoga, biofeedback, and progressive muscle relaxation - all of which have had success with fibromyalgia in developing a positive mind/body stance to work with the disease.
• Gentle heat applications are effective, especially with a massage, and arnica or capsaicin cream.
Herbs & Supplement Choices: Pick 2-3 of the following.
1. For relief: • Crystal Star Depress-ex caps as a balancer; • Natto-Zyme to break down and remove fibrin deposits; • Quercetin 1000mg and bromelain 1500mg with • Turmeric extract.•Muscle Relaxer caps daily.
2. Support brain and nervous system: • Ginkgo Biloba 3x daily; • Relax Caps, 6 daily as needed. • Gotu kola caps or Black cohosh extract for nerves, 3x daily. * Rosemary tea, a memory booster.
3. Support healthy serotonin levels: • SAMe (S-adenosyl methionine) 800mg daily boosts serotonin-dopamine levels. • St. John’s wort, 300mg daily; •California poppy/scullcap/valerian sleep combo for refreshing sleep.
4. Add magnesium and B-vitamins: • Magnesium 400mg 2x daily or • B-complex 150mg 3x daily.